[Tig] Old-school SMPTE Framing/Focus Telecine Chart

Marc Wielage mfw at musictrax.com
Mon Nov 17 08:01:21 GMT 2014

So after several days of detective work, I determined that SMPTE had
discarded and removed all their old test film information from their
public site, but I was able to discover this:

http://www.sprocketschool.org/w/images/3/38/Smpte-test-materials-catalog.pd

That lists everything that we old-school telecine operators were familiar
with in the 1990s. Staff engineer Rick Heaslip (still with Technicolor)
was able to determine it was called the ³Telecine Alignment Film² (aka the
³TAR²) sold by SMPTE as TV35-AR50, and that¹s the ³Classic² sizing loop we
always used with the Ranks and the Spirits in SD throughout the 1980s,
1990s, and early 2000s. DI engineer/consultant Ray Mitchell found a later
version of the exact same sizing film from the 1990s that had been
augmented with ³RP40,² so at some point SMPTE just changed the number.

Images of the film are scattered around the net as a ³Test Card,² but now
we know what it properly should be called.  Glad that this mystery is
finally solved!

‹Marc W.
freelance colorist