[Tig] Scans from different scanners

Jim Houston jdhouston at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 23 14:35:15 GMT 2014

On Nov 22, 2014, at 2:09 PM, Carl Skaff <carl at stopp.se> wrote:

> Is APD a one-for-all setting? I would assume different neg stocks would need different settings.
>
> /Carl

To get the best reproduction from scene color to ADX, then it is not a one-for-all setting.
You can calibrate scanners with a scanner calibration roll for each major negative type
at the level of say (EXR, Vision, Vision2, Vision3, Fuji).

You could also use one APD transform for all negatives, but it is just an average performance
of all of the negative stocks (print stocks being quite different). Generally speaking,
a certain class of film (like Vision3) can use the same APD calibration since they
were designed to operate with each other — the negs often have the same Printing Density.

But most times the exactness of a per negative class conversion isn’t needed,
and it is a lot of work, no longer justified by the market.

Jim Houston
Pasadena, CA