[Tig] film restoration software

Jeff Kreines - Mindspring jeffkreines at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 23 20:09:48 GMT 2014

Justin,

It all depends on what you need.  If you just need dust-busting, Phoenix Touch is very good, and costs about $2700 — it does automated dustbusting, and manual fixes of larger artifacts, even splotches as long as they don’t obscure the same part of the frame for several frames in a row.

Touch can deal with scratches that are very short — a couple of frames — and if they wander a lot it might be able to help — but it won’t deal with conventional scratches that don’t waver. That’s not an easy thing to do — if you need to fix these one can run another track in Resolve with the image shifted and masked and perhaps slightly blurred to fill in the scratch — but it’s not perfect.

For a lot of fixes, Resolve can be very useful — repositioning images to deal with bad splices, dealing with registration problems in the original film (either camera problems or printed-in problems), etc.

After Effects can be useful for things like warped frames, etc.

For me Resolve + Phoenix Touch does most of what I need, with AE in special cases.

Jeff Kreines
Kinetta