[Tig] Common practice in DCI grading

Tom Rovak trovak at comcast.net
Wed Sep 3 16:02:08 BST 2014

In my experience, much of the difference is in the creation of the DCP. If the DCP is done right, your grading on an HD monitor is into the mix and the DCP converts to P3 properly. You have to make sure the DCP takes into account the color science and gamma curve of the monitor you graded on. I always grade in HDTV and use the SMPTE DCI standards when making a DCP and the results have been a DCI that matches my HDTV grade almost flawlessly. I have seen projection screens in need of calibrating. But that's another issue.