[Tig] High quality Super 8 transfer needed

Jeff Kreines - Mindspring jeffkreines at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 10 21:14:15 BST 2014

Rick:

Facilities with the Kinetta Archival Scanner scan Super-8 at 3296 x 2472 x 12 bits — about 5x the resolution of pillarboxed HD.  Counterintuitively, more resolution is more important for small formats, that have a higher grain-to-framesize ratio.  I wrote a little paper on it that you can download here:

http://db.tt/5SlAVkbT

Kinetta Archival (our NYC facility) have done a lot of 8mm and S8 scans for theatrical documentaries, one example being H.R. Haldeman’s Nixon White House home movies, which had to be scanned on location at the Nixon Library because the film couldn’t leave the facility.  This footage amounted to about 70% of the feature documentary OUR NIXON.

There currently aren’t any Kinettas in Australia — the closest ones would be in Switzerland, France, Israel, and the UK.

Disclaimer — I manufacture Kinetta Archival Scanners, but these days it’s a labor of love, not profit!

Jeff Kreines
Kinetta
jeff at kinetta.com