[Tig] High quality Super 8 transfer needed

Jeff Kreines - Mindspring jeffkreines at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 11 22:33:57 BST 2014

Catalin:

You have previously tried getting access to a Kinetta to reverse engineer it, though never quite so publicly.  Pretty audacious move!

On your website you wrote:

"From my perspective any business must be done in a way that harmonizes the interest of both sides, for the long term benefit of all the parties involved.”

I have clients to support, with upgrades and service (most service is handled within an hour or two by email or phone).  To give away what they paid for would not be to their benefit, as you point out.

You also say:

"I am an entrepreneur focused on the Arab and Russian Internet market. The companies I am currently investing in are located in Alexandria (Egypt), Arkhangelsk (Russia), Kharkiv (Ukraine), Hong Kong (China).”

Do you invest in companies that give away their work?  How would they survive if they did?  This is hardware, not software.  Each unit costs real money.

There are a lot of expenses — large ones, like ongoing software development — that have to be paid for.  There are many proprietary components in the Kinetta.  All of this has to be paid for.  So does ongoing development.  Most of what comes in goes right back out, unfortunately.

We do offer significant discounts to non-profits whose aims we support, and we do a lot of pro-bono scanning work for filmmakers we care about.  I’m sure you do the same.

If you really want an open-source scanner, you surely know where to look.  Speed and image quality may be lacking, but that may not concern you.

As an entrepeneur, you certainly have the time, resources, and ability to develop an open-source scanner of your own.  We all look forward to seeing the results.

Jeff “troll-free” Kreines