[Tig] "That Viral Dress" ugh

Joe Owens jpo at prestodigital.ca
Tue Mar 3 18:34:56 GMT 2015

Because it doesn't.  Your brain, and the way it is processing "constant color" for Kelvin temperature is doing it.  Colorists fight this in every scene we deal with -- the longer you stay with it, the perceptual impression starts squeezing its way past the initial objectivity.  Our eye-brain determination is to try to find the neutral balance -- Edwin Land demonstrated this while he was trying to develop a color-constant film emulsion that didn't need a mired-shift offset to compensate for the Planckian locus between tungsten and daylight. And this blue-gold dress is on that trajectory.

On 2015-03-03, at 10:32 AM, Chris Barnett via Tig wrote:

> But does that explain how it can change colour from one moment to the next on the same device?

Joe Owens
Presto!Digital Colourgrade
302-9664 106 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5H0N4